Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater was formed in 1958, at a now-famous performance in New York, led by Alvin Ailey himself. Since then, Alvin Ailey Dance has performed in 48 states and 71 countries all over the world, becoming one of the most acclaimed ambassadors of the U.S. Their mission is to promote African American culture and modern American dance.
On any given evening, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater may perform any number of spectacular shows. In their current rotation Home, chororaphed by Rennie Harris and inspired by the stories of those living with or impacted by HIV. Takademe, choreographed by Robet Battle and abstract interpretation of Indian Kathak rhythms. The Hunt, a play choreographed by Robert Battle that explores the relationship between modern sports and the rites of gladiators and Revelations, choreographed by Alvin Ailey himself, which explores the places of deepest grief and holiest joy in the soul.
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre at other Venues in US
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre Saint Louis, MO at Fabulous Fox Theatre - Saint Louis : April 25, 2014 - April 26, 2014
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre Utica, NY at Stanley Theatre - Utica : April 29, 2014
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre Boston, MA at Citi Performing Arts Center - Wang Theater : May 01, 2014 - May 04, 2014
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre Newark, NJ at New Jersey Performing Arts Center - Prudential Hall : May 10, 2014 - May 11, 2014
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre New York, NY at David H. Koch Theater (formerly New York State Theater) : June 11, 2014 - June 22, 2014