Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater was formed in 1958, at a now-famous performance in New York, led by Alvin Ailey himself. Since then, Alvin Ailey Dance has performed in 48 states and 71 countries all over the world, becoming one of the most acclaimed ambassadors of the U.S. Their mission is to promote African American culture and modern American dance.
On any given evening, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater may perform any number of spectacular shows. In their current rotation Home, chororaphed by Rennie Harris and inspired by the stories of those living with or impacted by HIV. Takademe, choreographed by Robet Battle and abstract interpretation of Indian Kathak rhythms. The Hunt, a play choreographed by Robert Battle that explores the relationship between modern sports and the rites of gladiators and Revelations, choreographed by Alvin Ailey himself, which explores the places of deepest grief and holiest joy in the soul.
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre at other Venues in US
- Sarasota, FL - at Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall : February 17, 2015
- Fort Lauderdale, FL - at Au-Rene Theater - Broward Ctr For The Perf Arts : February 20, 2015
- Greenvale, NY - at Tilles Center For The Performing Arts - Concert Hall : February 27, 2015 - February 28, 2015
- Chicago, IL - at Auditorium Theatre - IL : March 06, 2015 - March 15, 2015
- Lincoln, NE - at Lied Center For Performing Arts : April 07, 2015
- Tucson, AZ - at Centennial Hall - AZ : April 12, 2015
- Baltimore, MD - at Lyric Opera House - MD : May 02, 2015 - May 03, 2015
- Newark, NJ - at New Jersey Performing Arts Center - Prudential Hall : May 08, 2015 - May 10, 2015